For any news item to appear on its relevant landing page as well as the relevant audience page in the Newsroom, all pages must be tagged appropriately and saved under the corresponding page in the Newsroom. All news items MUST be created and saved under the page titled Newsroom.
Please note: For a news item to appear in any of the listings in the Newsroom you must:
- select at least one of the available audiences in the metadata checklist for that news item eg. Landing - Community and Alumni or Landing - Research and Innovation.
- select the Landing - Research and Innovation option if you have selected any of the research centres available in the metadata checklist of the news item.
- all Faculty and Schools should select their relevant Faculty or school option in the metadata checklist for their news item.
- any other unit using an ad-hoc tag must also select a higher audience level of the newsroom e.g. Community and Alumni, Current Staff.
If you do not follow any of the above steps than your news item will only be accessible via a direct link or from the news widget available in your content section of the website.
How to add a news item
1. Click on the New button in the top left of the menu bar to open the asset creation wizard
2. Select News Item under the Pages tab on the left.
3. In the Name field enter the name of the news item in sentence case. All headlines should be no longer than 19 characters (including spaces).
4. Change show in menu to No
5. Click on Select New Location.
6. Navigate to University of Newcastle > Newsroom and then select where your news item will be saved then click Select in the bottom right.
7. Click on the Create button in the bottom right.
8. Your news item has been created. Click on the Edit button to add content.
9. In the Details tab add a headline for your news item and a contact name, phone number and email (if applicable).
10. Click Save in the top right hand corner.
11. Click the Content tab to add your content. Select the Summary container first and write the first sentence of your article. The first few words in the Summary container are shown in the news widget. Next, select the Body container and add the rest of your content.
13. Click on the Metadata tab.
14. Scroll down the the SEO section, and un-tick 'Use Default' for the description box. Write a description of the news story (300 words max). Your news story will not be approved unless this description is filled out.
15. Scroll down to the section called News and Events.
16. Unclick the Use default box at the top of the News Type(s) section
17. Go back through the News Type options and select the pages where you would like your news item displayed. All news will be approved by the Web Team.
18. If your article mentions a particular person you may want to tag this news item to their profile. To do this, select Ad Hoc News Type, unclick Use default and add the person’s first name and last name separated by a dash ie Jane-Smith. If there is more than one separate the names with a semicolon with no spaces. Eg Jane-Smith;John-Smith. This only applies to staff profiles - please contact the web team if there is another page you would like the news item to sit on.
19. Your news item is now added. You can preview your content by clicking on the Preview tab in the top menu.
20. You will now need to add a related image to your news item using, as you normally would. This image will live underneath the news item. Please see attached for more detailed instructions if you are unsure on how to upload a related image.
21. Once the related image has been uploaded underneath your news item, return to the Details screen of your news story. Under Related Image click Select.
22. Apply for approval for both news story and related image. Once you have recieved approval, return to the assets and set both assets live.
Note: Do not submit a news item for approval without adding a related image first.