A vanity URL is a web address that is used for marketing purposes. Please consider the following when submitting a request:
1. Reason for vanity
Vanities should ideally be used for offline marketing purposes and not as a short URL. Please indicate the type of marketing campaign you are undertaking when submitting your request.
Vanity URLs should follow the below format. If your request does not meet these conditions the web team will provide an alternative URL based on the below:
- aim to make the vanity URL readable and memorable
- keep the vanity as short as possible (1-3 words max.)
Example: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/ikara instead of https://www.newcastle.edu.au/ikarachallenge
- if using more than one word in the vanity, use hyphens to separate each word
- use lower case for all words
Example: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/health-science instead of https://www.newcastle.edu.au/healthscience
- Do not use "uon"
- Do not use a person's name or a generic word without reviewing the context first.
Example: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/steve or https://www.newcastle.edu.au/marketing (marketing used for a generic internal team vanity could conflict with a degree or study area campaign)
If you're uncertain please discuss with the Web Team when submitting your request.